Cystic Fibrosis Facts
What is the fight is all about?
- CF is a life limiting disease (current median age 38) that is transmitted at conception by a defective gene in BOTH parents.
- 30,000 CF patients in US, 844 in NC and 10 million “symptomless carriers” in the US
- In addition to CF, respiratory diseases affect many other non-CF patients with over 9.9 Million cases of Chronic Bronchitis diagnosed in 2006/2007. In 2010, 187,000 people in the US died from Respiratory Failure. (6 times the # of active CF Patients). CF research has potential benefits for EVERYONE with respiratory diseases.
- Recent genetic discoveries have for the first time directly attacked the cause of the CF Disease. Significant progress is being made in small molecular research leading to individual personalized care. Though Kalydeco is having remarkably positive effects on some CF patients, it is effective on approximately 4% of the CF population. With more than 1,800 mutations of the CF gene we have a great need to produce combinations that will address the needs of the other 96% of the CF patients. We are optimistic for a CF cure in the near future.